The first thing you should do before modify Android operating system is to unlock bootloader. We wrote a great user manual how to unlock bootloader on different smartphones: Nexus, Pixel, Samsung, LG, HTC, Xiaomi and others.
What is Bootloader?
Each Android device has a specific hardware, so there is no common way to unlock bootloader. You should use different methods for every phone model.
Attention: modifying the original software of smartphone may put your device at risk and void the warranty. Any modification that you make to the software of your smartphone is under your total responsibility. When unlocking bootloader the device will return to its factory values. I recommend you to make a back up before proceeding.
Unlock bootloader on Nexus or Pixel
Nexus phones come with locked bootloader by default. But, as you may know, Nexus is a Google project so it is not very difficult to unlock bootloader. Most developers unlock the bootloader from the computer with a simple command line using ADB and Fastboot through the console with ‘fastboot oem unlock’.
There is an application BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices to unlock bootloader on Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
Unlock bootloader on Samsung
Most Samsung devices already have unlocked Bootloader. If you want to install a recovery mode or custom ROM you can use Odin program directly. However there are always exceptions, like some of the devices flagged by operators. If your Samsung smartphone has locked Bootloader you will have to unblock it through ADB.
Note: There is also an application to unlock Samsung devices pre-2012 called EZ-Unlock, although we do not recommend to use due to the numerous users who have reported problems on their devices after using that application.
Unlock bootloader on LG
LG takes completely opposite side of Samsung. LG smartphones have locked Bootloader. If you want to install any custom software you must skip the protection. Moreover, you lose the warranty, and every each device has a different method to unlock the Bootloader.
LG published an official method to unlock bootloader. You can find it on official LG developers page.
Unlock bootloader on HTC
Since September 2011 HTC offers free unlock code for those users who request it. To do this you must follow these steps:
- Register on HTC Developers page: HTCDev
- On the right, in drop-down list, search for your device. If your specific model does not appear in the list, then choose the general option ‘All Other Supported Models’. Once you have marked an option press ‘Begin Unlock Bootloader’
- Accept the legal terms that inform you of guarantee cancellation.
- Activate developer options and check ‘Unlock OEM’
- Turn off the device and enter bootloader mode or download.
- Use the volume keys to move and select ‘Fastboot’ by pressing the power button when the option is checked.
- You need to have ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Download the file with binaries for your system from HTCDev website and install it.
- Open a command console through ADB and Fastboot, and enter the command: fastboot oem get_identifier_token.
- Copy the token from <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> to <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>> both included but without selecting bootloader or INFO.
- Paste the token on HTCDev web, where it says ‘Enter Token’, and press submit to receive the unlock code with the instructions to unlock it from ADB.
Also you can use a tool developed by Kingosoft Technology Ltd. that makes our work to unlock bootloader on HTC much easier.
Unlock bootloader on Sony
You can also use a tool to easily unlock Bootloader with a single click on Sony devices. It is also developed by Kingosoft Technology Ltd. You just have to enable USB debugging on smartphone, connect it to computer connect and unlock.
Unlock bootloader on Huawei
The application Huawei Bootloader Unlocker allows to unlock bootloader on some Huawei devices. You can find your model in description of application. You are not able to find the app in Google Play since it was removed from the official market but you can find it in other repositories.
Unlock bootloader on Motorola
Unlocking Bootloader on Motorola smartphones is very similar to Nexus devices. Motorola has prepared complete list with risks and instructions to unlock bootloader on Moto.
You need to use ADB and Fastboot and the main steps are similar to other manufacturers:
- Using ADB and Fastboot you get the unlock code.
- Then you enter it on official website to unlock Motorola bootloader. After that you will receive a code by email (UNIQUE_KEY) that you should copy behind the unlock instruction ‘fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY’.
- Accept unlock and restart.
Unblock bootloader on ASUS
ASUS does not make life easier for users who want to modify the software of their devices by installing ROMs or custom recoveries. But the manufacturer has released a tool that helps to unlock bootloader on Zenfone 2 or Zenfone Selfie. You can download the tool from official ASUS website.
Unlock bootloader on BQ
- First of all, go to the BQ website and download the ‘Unlock bootloader’. Then unzip the folder on your PC.
- You need to activate ‘Development Options’, ‘OEM Unlock’ and ‘USB Debugging’.
- Connect the smartphone to the computer and accept the trust notice on PC.
- Now you just have to execute the file ‘Unlock.bat’ that you will find in the folder you just unzipped.
You can read more details on official forum.
Unlock bootloader on Xiaomi
We have an article on our website how to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi.
Do you know a simpler method to unlock bootloader on your smartphone?